Meal Number 7:
Chinese Chicken Salad
Sliced Grilled Chicken
Asian chicken salad dressing
- Sliced almonds
- deep fried dried noodles
How to make:
- Get a big bowl
- Toss in the lettuce pieces
- Slice the cucumbers put in bowl
- Cut up napa cabbage and red cabbage into little pieces and toss them in bowl as well
- Slice up carrots into thin little pieces toss them in the bowl
- Grill Chicken as if you were making any of our other dishes
- Cut up the chicken into thick but small pieces, toss in bowl
- Put in almond pieces, oranges and dried noodles if you choose to
- Put an appropriate amount of dressing in bowl and mix/toss together
For our 7th and final meal we decided to make our personal favorite light, healthy meal that we all love, the Chinese chicken salad. Everything up to this meal has been packed with carbohydrates and so we wanted to move away from it for those healthy meal finders, but don’t worry meat lovers, we still have the protein you need after a long day from the grilled chicken to recover and fill your stomach. More of a simple mainstream meal compared to most of our other things but this is a quick easy meal that you could even take to go. Thank you for sticking with us on our wild ride of finding 7 cheap meals that you can cook at home! This will be our 7th and final meal.
“I’ve loved Chinese chicken salads my whole life, definitely my go to salad at restaurants and what not, but man these boys did a good job of fixing this thing up! Easily comparable to ones at nice restaurants, compliments to the chefs!”
-Erica Nakano (UC Davis, Freshman, 19)
Meal Number 6:
Grilled Chicken Burger
Sriracha, mayonnaise, and ketchup mix
Onion (Grilled or Fresh your choice)
Pickled Relish (Optional)
How to cook:
- Spread a layer of olive oil on a pan that is preheated to HI, or if you want to enjoy a nice outdoors barbecue, set up your grill to about 350 degrees.
- Place chicken onto pan or grill and carefully watch it for next 3-4 minutes. Try not to flip over too many times because it will lose its fat and flavor.
- Once the outside it brown and cooked to your liking take off grill or pan. Since it is chicken it is good to make sure it is cooked a good amount.
- If Grilled onions are preferred make sure to place those on pan or grill afterwards and cook them to your liking.
- If you prefer your buns toasted toss them onto the grill or pan after cooking the chicken with the grease to seep the flavor into the bun
Special Sriracha Ketchup Mayo sauce:
- One cup of mayo
- One spoon full of sriracha
- One cup of ketchup
- Pickled relish (Optional but recommended)
- Put all into a pan and mix
- For extra creaminess put in one spoonful of creamer
Putting it all together:
- Get your buns
- Rub the special sauce on both top and bottom bun
- Layer of lettuce
- Layer of onions
- Place cooked chicken on top
- Layer of pickles
- Top it off with another layer of lettuce
- Then finally place top bun on top
For our second to last meal we incorporated our favorite american meal into a protein packed juicy delight of a chicken burger. Now everybody’s taste buds prefer different things so there are many alternatives to many of the ingredients on this meal plan. What our group highly recommends though is our signature sauce, the spiciness of the sriracha, the tang of the mayo, and the kick of classic ketchup create an incredible fusion in your mouth that you will not forget. Pickled relish in the mix is also recommended for a little touch of thousand island sauce. We see another meal that will be one of your guilty pleasures. We all have those days where we crave a burger but we are watching our weight, especially in college. Here is the best alternative we can come up with. Protein packed chicken with high nutrient veggies with our pleasureful sauce. Taking a break from all that studying to possibly enjoy an outside barbecue with your friends as well. Barbecues are great social events and what better than grilling with some bros? This is one of our highly recommended meals to cook outside. Enjoy!
Erin Mccoy (University of Oregon):
“I wasn’t aware that any of these boys could cook but when they asked if I wanted to try a free chicken burger I couldn’t help myself, but wow I don’t know why I didn’t have these boys cook for me more often during high school. Shun was right, the sauce is super killer and I definitely want to try making this at a barbecue with my friends back at Oregon”